Governor Lamont COVID-19 and Vaccine Update- 12/14/20
Today, Governor Lamont held a press conference to give an update on the state’s COVID-19 response efforts and Dr. Keith Grant, one of the first recipients of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine was the special guest.
- Metrics- The positivity rate is 6.08% since Friday. There were 33 hospitalizations and 81 fatalities over the weekend.
- Vaccine Deliveries This Week- The following distributions will be made this week.
- Vaccine Order Status- Here is a breakdown of the vaccine order status over the next two weeks:
- First Vaccines Administered- Dr. Keith Grant, an APRN at Hartford Hospital, was the first to receive the vaccine at Hartford Hospital. He reported that this is significant news for Connecticut and represents the beginning of getting COVID-19 under control.
- Scientific and medical leaders have a responsibility to step up and take the vaccine.
- A survey of the Harford Healthcare system found that 65% would like to be vaccinated.
- In response to a question, Dr. Grant noted that it is Pfizer’s intent to produce 1.6 billion vaccines in the next 16-18 months.
- Vaccine Distribution Safeguards- In response to a question on distribution safeguards, Dr. Grant replied that the CDC has placed significant safeguards on the transportation of the vaccines. There is also a monitoring system included in the packaging that identifies whether the vaccine has maintained temperature.
- Vaccines for Non-institutional healthcare workers- There will be a collaborative efforts for healthcare systems to coordinate the vaccination workers that are not in institutional settings.
- The objective is to have all healthcare workers who want to be vaccinated completed by the end of January 2021.
- Phase 1B Logistics- In response to a question, State Chief Operating Officer replied that individuals in Phase 1B including those with pre-existing conditions and over 65 years old should continue exercising caution by wearing masks and practicing social distancing as there is not yet a waiting list that they can get onto.
- Homecare Workers- Homecare workers will be eligible in Phase 1A.
This update was brought to us by…
Rome Smith & Lutz